Old May 12th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default R-22 vs Mosquito

"enewbold" wrote in message
Hey, Stu, do you ever visit http://www.rotaryforum.com/ ? Lots of
gyroplane and helicopter chat going on all the time over there. Right
now Stan Foster is chronicling his R-22 lessons as he takes them.

Cheers,
Ed Newbold
Columbus, OH

Ed: I have looked into the rotaryforum every now and then and it is 98%
gyrocopters. While we have some anti-social behavior from the "Stuck Wing"
crowd, I've also seen some similar behavior from the gyro pilots toward the
helicopters. To wit Bensen Days this year negative comments were heard from
the gyro people and again at Sun'n Fun. While the new PRA pres wants to get
the helos back in the group at Mentone and other events, a number of the
gyro folks seem to wish the helos would go away. That said, it seems like,
as in the traffic pattern, the helicopters need to do "Right Hand" in the
"Left Hand" pattern of the "Stuck Wing" and Gyros. Inspite of helos and
gyros both being rotary wing, there is a lot more in common between the
"Stuck Wings" and the gyros than between gyros and helos. Traffic patterns
and runway needs are the main operational difference. Sun'n Fun operations
illuminated a need to separate the gyro operations from the helicopters.
Their needs are just different. While the Event operators want everyone to
come, there needs to be a little thought about the peaceful co-existence of
the different A/C types. This may also be true in forums and NGs. It would
make sense to provide some separation for the different types of A/C
discussions. I know I'm not too interested in propeller discussions or
pre-rotators, brakes and centerline thrust.
There are an increasing number of helicopter fly-ins where the helicopters
are made to feel welcome. Vertical Challenge, Central Sierra, Utah
Helicopter Meet, Homer's, Spurlings, St. Denis in Florida, and a Mosquito
based show also in Florida, and Rotorfest in PA as well as some others that
I can't remember right now.
I've been hoping to find a news group or forum that focused on experimental
helicopters. This RAR has in the past been loaded more with the commercial
helo operators. I've tried to get some stuff going but I haven't hit the
right note yet.

Stu