Old January 13th 21, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default FLARM releases firmware for ADS-R and TIS-B

On 1/13/2021 3:53 PM, MNLou wrote:
I can't say that I'm happy that they choose to charge for this pretty important upgrade.

Lou

Right. It's just a software change, like other firmware updates. And
it enhances safety. Charging (149 euros) for activating the feature
means a lot of people will skip it, and ADS-R "targets" will remain
invisible. And those UAT "targets" are generally small airplanes who
share our altitudes. It's one thing to charge extra for non-safety
bonus features (such as IGC approved logging) and another to cut into
the basic collision avoidance purpose of the device.

Question: the lack of collision warnings due to low accuracy fix, does
that apply to ADS-R or only to TIS-B? You'd think the position of
airplanes transmitting GPS coordinates on UAT is precisely known, just
like those transmitting on 1090? Only airplanes whose position is only
derived from ground RADAR would be imprecise.