Old May 19th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Chopper crash

Kevin: There is a section in Prouty where he reports on a series of tests
conducted at Cal Poly that claimed to demonstrate no change in hover power
required over water. I've put that in the magazine once and received a
bunch of howls from helo pilots claiming other wise. The Cal Poly guys did
have some instrumentation with numbers to support their argument.??

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
wrote:

I know nothing about operating an aircraft off of water like that but I
thought it strange how far he put the nose down in his attempt to lift
off.
I'd imagine that he was trying to achieve ETL but really?? He buried the
nose, all the way over the windshield, "under" the surf. Once that
happened, it's no surprise that he didn't have enough power to pull out,
or
cyclic authority to level the ship.

Water will dissipate the downwash- kinda like "sorta ground effect".
Same with tall grass.. The water ops I've seen always had the heli
make a vertical pickup to a hover, then a normal takeoff.. I have to
wonder if dumping the collective when the water started coming over
the cockpit might have saved the heli.

The pilot definitely made screwed the pooch on that one. The real tragedy
is that someone had to die because of it.

I think the pilot was the one who died...