Old October 23rd 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

Default For MXSMANIC: Flight Simulator Gear?

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ps.com...
That's why I strongly prefer a force-feedback joystick over a non-FF yoke
for simulated flying. With the FF joystick, you *can* trim off the
elevator
pressure.

But Jay could provide both and let his guests choose.

That's what we're using now. Joy sticks are great for flying combat
flight sims, but not very "real feeling" flying a spam can.

It's a matter of taste. For me, the important thing is for the sim to convey
information similar to the real thing (in this case, force feedback), even
if it's presented in a slightly different form factor (joystick instead of
yoke). (Consumer-priced force-feedback yokes are not available as far as I
know; and for me at least, the joystick would still be preferable because a
yoke pretty much takes over the computer area, so it's inconvenient unless
the computer is dedicated to simming.)

--Gary