Old April 25th 04, 05:24 PM
L.D.

Richard Lamb wrote:

Greg Siemon wrote:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...21X00493&key=1

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

I am told that the Glasair that crashed (fortunately not fatal) at SNF
Sunday was the beautiful, highly-modofoed Galsair III, "Jawbreaker,"
that is featured in the April Sprot Aviation. The apparently stalled,
dropped a wing and turned over.

This plane was absolutely gorgeous! The had re-engineered it to take a
Lycoming IO-720, modified to 450 hp. Such a shame!

Gee, now I kind of wonder _why_ it stalled on takeoff.

Obviously not a lack of power.

Anybody want to take a wild guess at the wing loading?

"Obviously not a lack of power"
Why not?
With more power it could have climbed at the rate of climb he was doing without the angle of attack.
I remember people talking about Swift 85hp, Monney 150hp, Comanche 180 and others. People said they needed more power. Well did they? No. The airplanes would do what they were intended to do. To do more you would need more poweer. Now my "well did they" would be "yes" if you wanted to do more than were intended to do.