Old July 25th 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Logan contest reporting now only on Soaring Cafe

On Jul 24, 9:14*pm, 4Z wrote:
On Jul 24, 7:16*am, "
wrote:

On Jul 23, 10:00*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

On 7/23/2011 7:07 PM, Albert Thomas wrote:

As a contest
manager or competition director who has selected tasks that have
resulted in the damage to 5 (is that confirmed? FIVE!?!) out of 54 or
9.3% of the sailplanes entered,

Maybe I'm misinterpreting how you said it, but...

How did the tasks result in damage? Did the area contain fields that
appeared suitable, but in fact, weren't, and the CD knew that? Were the
weather conditions, coupled with the task, such that the CD should have
known would likely surprise pilots with unpredictable sink or headwinds?

To put it another way: what about the task made pilots fly so that they
ended up landing in unsuitable fields?

email me)

Having been CD of many contests, I agree with Eric and FDR (quoted
below). *There are many areas that have similar "starting" conditions,
Bishop comes to mind and Parowan also, as we learned a couple of weeks
ago.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * THE MAN IN THE ARENA

* * * * * *Excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic",
delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France on 23 April, 1910 by
Franklin D. Roosevelt

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them
better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives
valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is
no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive
to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who
spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the
triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at
least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be
with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. "

Thank goodness for those who would be CD's, without them contests are
a thing of the past.

gary kemp- Hide quoted text -

I think someone needs to get their Roosevelts straight

FDR was the Pres when I grew up, slip of the tongue, actually Teddy
Roosevelt was the author, still valid though.