Old July 9th 18, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 1:22:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Just to close the loop on this Top Hat question, it does not appear that I can do what I want to do. I flew both days this past weekend and tried different configurations. Top Hat will autoswitch from cruise screen to circling screen and back again. It will autozoom when circling so the pilot can see the zoomed-in overhead view of the track within a thermal. And it will allow one-click switching from zoomed-in thermaling view (including whatever infoboxes are configured for the circling screen) to zoomed-out cruise view (with the cruising infoboxes).

But it will not automatically switch from cruise screen (zoomed out) to circling screen (autozoomed in) and allow one-click switching back to the cruise view to get a quick pick at nearby landing sites, other gliders (with FLARM input), and surrounding terrain and airspace.

I compromised on one-click manual switching from cruise to climb. It's better for me than the autozoom into thermaling view because I can switch to zoomed out view with only one click on the Screens button. But the manual switching each time I want the circling view is annoying because all the logic is there to autoswitch and zoom; I just can't control them to get the effect I want.

Thanks for the input! I'm not sure there's a lot of development work being done on Top Hat at the moment but I'll submit this as a request.

Chip Bearden

Thanks Chip. I second your request. Specifically: after I manually switch from (auto-entered) circling screen to cruise screen I want to be able to manually go back to the circling screen. Robert Dunning has made other changes to Tophat by request before, hopefully he'll do it again. And Thank You Robert for this nice software!