Old July 10th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default NetJets Layoff

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've seen the system in action (in Iowa and Wisconsin), and it is a
farce. If it weren't so sad, it would be laughable.

Then you just aren't answering the forms correctly. One of my duties is
fighting unemployment claims on behalf of our clients. If you answer
correctly and keep your ducks in a row the claims are usually refused
when
they should be. I do this for clients in several states. Most states deny
UI
claims if the employee quit or was terminated for misconduct.

I would have thought so, too -- but it wasn't the case for us.

Now, admittedly, as an employer I have a sample of one (1) person who
has ever claimed unemployment against me (that's in three different
businesses, from the 1980s till the present) -- but the experience left
a bitter, bitter taste in my mouth.

1. Our employee gave a one YEAR advance notice to quit. (His "notice"
slipped out at his wedding reception, which we were attending, when it
was announced by his new father-in-law that the bride and groom were
going to be moving out of state. Needless to say, our employee was
deeply embarrassed by the way this came to light.)

2. Fast forward one year later. At the same time as his one year
running out, we switched businesses, from newspapers to the hotel. I
did everything I could to make sure that he had work right up till the
end of his time -- even creating work for him -- so that he could have
employment right up until he moved to Florida.

3. Upon arriving in Florida, he filed for Iowa unemployment, claiming
that his job had been "eliminated".

4. I fought it, and explained what happened to anyone who would listen,
including the administrative judge. Simple facts didn't matter to this
bureacratic nightmare of a "judge", my former friend and employee won
-- and I'm STILL paying for it in the form of higher unemployment
taxes, four years later.

The system sucks. (I can tell you many more examples of acquaintances
who have scammed the unemployment system over the years...)
--

[Playing Unemployment Appeals Judge]

Mr. Honeck, was there work available for the claimant at your firm . After
the termination?