Old September 28th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Default UFO HeliThruster and IFR?

Steve R wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
virtuPIC wrote:
You might also want to ask yourself why
so many of the pictures show pilots wearing
helmets....
Yes, indeed. I've been wondering a long time...UFO claims they are
safe. And I can't imagine an accident where a helmet would be of real
use. Is it just my lack of fantasy? Lack of knowledge?

Well, since there seems to be no FAA-certified HeliThruster answers
have become less interesting. However, there might be some gyrocopter
with closed cabin that is easy to handle, stable, able to reach some
100 mph, and IFR-capable. (?)

virtuPIC

I don't think you will find any gyrocopter that is suitable for IFR
flight. It just isn't the nature of the beast.

On the helmet issue, fighter pilots wear helmets and in the event of a crash
in those birds, the helmet is useless. Of course, they have the recourse of
ejecting and the helmet plays a big role in protecting the pilot in that
event. Wearing a helmet does not guarrantee survival but it can tip the
scales in the pilots favor under the right circumstances and we never really
know what those circumstances might be in a given emergency situation. So,
I have to ask, what's your life worth to you? If a helmet will increase my
chances of living through a given situation by a couple of percentage
points, I don't have a problem wearing one!

Indeed, I have no problem with you wearing one.

OTOH, since I've never seen a pilot in a
standard certificated fixed-wing aircraft
wearing a helmet, I must assume that the
helmeted gyrocopter pilots are feeling a
greater degree of risk than the fixed-wing
pilots.