Old March 25th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Money grubbing FBO's

A few questions below:

From AC150-5109:

2. Restrictions on Self-Service. An aircraft owner or operator may
tie down, adjust, repair, refuel,
clean, and otherwise service his/her own aircraft, provided the
service is performed by the aircraft
owner/operator or his/her employees with resources supplied by the
aircraft owner or operator.

Does the above mean that an outside mechanic that I hire could be
construed as an "employee" and do a ramp annual at my govt. funded airport?

Moreover, the service must be conducted in accordance with reasonable
rules, regulations or
standards established by the airport sponsor. Any unreasonable
restriction imposed on the owners or
operators of aircraft regarding the servicing of their own aircraft
may be construed as an exclusive
rights violation. In accordance with the FAA grant assurances:

(1) An airport sponsor may not prevent an owner or operator of an
aircraft from performing
services on his/her own aircraft with his/her own employees and
equipment. Restrictions
imposed by an airport sponsor that have the effect of channeling self-
service activities to a
commercial aeronautical service provider may be an exclusive rights
violation.

Does the above mean that our current airport lease that has ridiculous
funding requirements for outside mechanics ($25,000 in working capital
being one of them) is an exclusive rights violation?

(2) An airport sponsor must reasonably provide for self-servicing
activity but is not obligated to
lease airport facilities and land for such activity. That is, the
airport sponsor is not required to
encumber the airport with leases and facilities for self-servicing
activity, and

(3) An airport sponsor is under no obligation to permit aircraft
owners or operators to introduce
equipment, personnel, or practices on the airport that would be
unsafe, unsightly, or detrimental
to the public welfare or that would affect the efficient use of
airport facilities by the public.

Does the above allow the airport the sole discretion to prohibit using
the "Mighty Grape" for on field fueling because they deem the thing
unsightly?

Furthermo

o. Self-Fueling and Self-Service. Self-fueling means the fueling or
servicing of an aircraft (i.e.
changing the oil, washing) by the owner of the aircraft with his or
her own employees and using his
or her own equipment. Self-fueling and other self-services cannot be
contracted out to another party.

Does the above tend to conflict with itself. I can use an "employee" but
cannot "contract out". Are we splitting an IRS hair on this point?

Have fun at your airport.
Mike