Old September 14th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Daryl Hunt

Default AIR FORCE WORKING TO REMOVE CORROSION FROM F-22A FIGHTER JETS

"Juergen Nieveler" wrote in message
. ..
"Daryl Hunt" wrote:

PM is certainly being done - but they are talking about "removing
recently discovered corrosion".

Woppy Doo. There is ALWAYS "newly or recently formed" corrosion. The
exotic metals required corrode and get worse as they age and corrode
even
more.

You mean the F-22 corrodes faster than a 1970s Toyota? ;-)

PM means checking if something is corroded - but this sounds like
somebody did PM and discovered that the planes have corroded parts, and
that those parts are now being fixed, which is a totally different
story.

Nope, same story.

So we can agree that there are parts of this brand new airplane that
are corroded to the point where they have to get replaced - which means
that somebody will have to take a look at the maintenance budget.

Corrosion does occur, that's normal - but those planes are HOW old? And
need spare parts already? THAT is the real story behind this - the F-22
was supposed to be less maintenance-intensive.

I have yet to see a Toyota flying at M.1.5 and 50,000 feet. And NOTHING
corrodes faster than an old Toyota.