Old October 10th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default DARPA calls for help in designing submersible aircraft

Actually this whole idea reminds me of the unfortunate Convair F2Y Sea Dart
project.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2Y_Sea_Dart

"John Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
Charles Vincent wrote:

Vehicle would be used to secretly drop military teams along coastal
locations -- Sharon Gaudin

October 9, 2008 (Computerworld) It may sound like something out of a
James Bond movie, but the U.S. military's Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency is putting out the call for researchers to come up with
a design for a submersible aircraft.

Yup, you read it right. DARPA, a research branch of the U.S. Department
of Defense, is looking for someone to prove that a vehicle can be built
that will fly, as well as maneuver underwater.

The "Flying Sub" from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".
The Flying Sub was launched and recovered from a bay in the forward
section of the Seaview.
(You youngsters may have to do a Goodle search to learn what I am
referring to. Testor's sold a model of it.)