Old August 6th 05, 02:20 PM

Default good joystick/rudder/throttle choices for MS Flight Sim 2004 on XP

I'm looking around for good joystick/rudder/throttle combos for the MS
FS 2004 that I finally installed on my HP Pentium 4 1.6 GHz Pavilion
760n running XP (that detail so you get a reference frame for what the
system might support). So far I see among the higher-end stuff the CH
products, and the Saitek controller.

What I want:

Initially, controls that provide input accurately enough so they
control the game realistically. It seems like the game and the
controls available are configurable 9 ways from Sunday, so, can I get
this with anything I buy ?

I want rudder control that I can use. Are pedals the only way to go ?
Can I bundle the CH pedals with other brand stick/throttles ? I would
also ideally like an independent throttle rather than controls on the
joystick base.

As far as widgets on the stick (and I'm thinking stick rather than
yoke, although I'll appreciate your making the effort to convince me
otherwise if you're so inclined) my first priority is having them
afford me an accurate simulation - hat switches, trim controls, etc.,
if they're realistic, and usable with MS FS, great; I don't want a
bunch of spacewars junk cluttering the stick or other controls that
will be found on real craft in another 200 years. I am looking for
controls/configurability that will eventually let me play fighter
pilot, so worthwhile triggers, etc. are wanted.

As far as connectivity goes - with what's on the market today, do I
have to choose between USB and gameport connectivity, or is everything
USB these days ?

cost, I would rather spend once and spend well than get something
cheap with limited function now, and then have to upgrade.

TIA!