Old February 12th 20, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default iGlide

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 12:37:25 PM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:
On 2/11/20 11:09 PM, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 12:15:06 PM UTC-7, Ben S wrote:
If you are an Air Avionics iGlide user, please share your evaluation.
Also interested in knowing if you are happy with the sunlight
readability of your iPhone. Is iPhone 6 brighter than iPhone 5?

Is iGlide "secure" enough to use for badge flights here in the US? I have the basic version, which will show your flight path on the map, but doesn't offer much more than that, and am thinking of upgrading to a better version this season. I'll be running it on either an iPhone 6 Plus or an iPhone XS Max.

Nope. From page two of this guide:

https://www.ssa.org/files/member/b&rguide.pdf

SC3 provides for individual countries to approve
off-the-shelf GPS Position Recorders for recording Silver or Gold
Badge flights. As of 15 May2010, no such recorders have been
approved for use in the US.

According to the list at http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/po..._recorders.htm, which is maintained on the web site of the Chairman of the GNSS Flight Recorder Approval Committee (GFAC) of the International Gliding Commission of FAI, the Soaring Society of America has only approved the "FlyWithCE" and the "FlyWithCE FR300" as position recorders (updated 2018). I've OO'd a number of Silver badge legs with FR300's in Canada.