Old June 20th 05, 02:09 PM
Jay Honeck

While I cannot match Jay's exciting cross country to Washington in
unstable air, ADIZ, 11K runway, etc., we did do the bi-biennial trek up
to Beaver Island...

Dang, that sounds like a great trip, Denny. We wanted to get up to
Mackinac Island badly -- but now, thanks to you, we've got a *new*
destination to aim for...

Is there *anything* on the island that the kids would enjoy, or should we
leave 'em home?

The other interesting history is
of King Strang and his harem and Mormon followers followed by his
assassination and then the mainlanders came over in boats and
physically ejected the Mormons from the Island...

The history of the islands of the Great Lakes is fascinating and often
extremely violent/tragic. Madeline Island (in Lake Superior) has become an
off-limits "place of evil" to Native American Indians because at one point
it became over-populated and the natives resorted to cannibalism to survive.
Many of the islands have tales to tell...

That and the sea-faring stories of the Great Lakes will raise the hackles on
the back of your neck. Incredibly dangerous waters, incredibly brave men.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA