Old October 18th 03, 03:31 PM
Thomas Schoene

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

Someone from Korea (pretty sure it was in this thread, but maybe
not) commented on the F-15K deal shortly after I posted my remark
the first time with something along the lines of "That's right,
because we're buying SLAM-ER, too."

OTOH, you said the same thing about Poland, and their package
includes only JDAM and JSOW, not a powered stand-off weapon like
SLAM-ER.

Yes, I did. Compare the range of Harpoon Block II to the range of a
JSOW. Again, not much point in trying to make the Harpoon into some
sort of land attack weapon. It would cost more than it was worth,
given that you already HAVE a dedicated land attack weapon with
roughly the same range and a better warhead.

I geuss we're just talking past each other a bit. I agree that this is not
the missile anyone would buy specifically for land-attack. However, the
mssile has the capability and will be in inventory. With so few ship
targets to deal with these days, I expect that some countries will use it in
land-attack mode, if only to justif having bought it in the first place.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)