Old May 1st 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default High Altitude Waypoints

John R. Copeland wrote:
"Sam Spade" wrote in message ...

Dennis Johnson wrote:

Greetings,

If I file an IFR flight plan with the equipment suffix of /G, indicating
GPS, can I use a high altitude waypoint on the flight plan even if I'm
flying in the low altitude structure?

For example, flying northwest from Las Vegas, filing from BTY VOR (Beatty)
to DOBNE to BIH VOR (Bishop) takes me around the Saline MOA that is in the
way of a direct flight from Beatty to Bishop.

What gets tough with a routing like that is determining a legal
off-route altitude.

Where do you plan to go after BIH VOR?

I must have missed something, Sam.
What's tough about reading the grid MORAs from the charts?

You mean ORACAs as per the AIM?

OROCA is an off-route altitude which provides obstruction clearance with
a 1,000 foot buffer in nonmountainous terrain areas and a 2,000 foot
buffer in designated mountainous areas within the U.S. This altitude may
not provide signal coverage from ground-based navigational aids, air
traffic control radar, or communications coverage.

They are not all that easy to apply on a route of any length and they
are sometimes needlessly high because they cover a relatively large area.