Old January 22nd 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default soaring history

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:43:05 PM UTC-8, OregonGliderPilot wrote:[color=blue][i]
;895414 Wrote:
Steve,
you are right, good ground handling equipment is a must, the one man
wing rigger is also a must, I am working on a hydraulic ramp jack right
now, my trailer is a minden tube type and the fixtures are easy to use.
Once the weather gets good I leave it assembled and have built a tow bar
that connects to my tail dolly and i tow the 17 to the runway and off
with my car. It is a tank but in the air it will run and run. My water
ballast system was real funky so I removed it and now am in the dreaming
up of a new system, that is the beauty of experimental aircraft and old
airworthiness limitations. It has a forward hinged canopy and I took the
fixed panel out and built it so it now goes up with the canopy, new
panel, wiring 5 point harness, moved the brake to the stick and much
more, and more to do. Cant wait to get the bags out and see what is
there and fly with water. Look for me on OLC, I fly out of Bend Oregon
and lots of good soaring to you to, I like to say "old glass kicks
ass".

John Bentley

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 9:18:30 PM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:-
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 12:51:12 PM UTC-6,
wrote:
I have many hours in a Nimbus 2 and it was exciting to get into a ASW
17 knowing that they went head to head in the early 70's as the best in
their class. It is a truly big sailplane, 100lbs heavier than my Nimbus
was but goes like stink and I can keep up with all friends, most of the
time at 1/4 the cost, just need some good friends to help me put it
together. It is really fun to know who and when it was flown in
competition, i can see Rudy's sailplane (now mine) in the line up at the
1974 and 75 National championships where he finished 8th and 25th. That
is fun, now it is time for me to run like Rudy. -

If you might not be using your water ballast system in the future, and
it is or is close to being serviceable, I know another local ASW17 that
would benefit.

Thanks, Martin

--
OregonGliderPilot

I have yet to confirm the size of my bags, but in my log book there is an entry to up the max gross weight of the aircraft to 1600lbs with the installation of larger bags which were installed, that would bring a wing loading of 10lbs per square foot, can you imagine what that would be like?

send me your tel number and I will let you know what I find when I pull the bags.