Old July 30th 20, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default inverted Schweizer towhook

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 12:01:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 7:01:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
"First off are you an A&P/IA? Secondly do you understand what the FAA has written in the various Advisory Circulars pertaining to tow hitches?"

Yes and yes, but perhaps there is something I'm missing and I'm trying to understand it. Just because you and I are IA's doesnt mean either one of us know it all.

You must be considering this a major alteration because you said a 337 is required. You then said a field approval is not required, but some kind of approval is required and should be documented on the 337.
So I'm curious, what approval would you use to invert the hitch?
I wasnt saying it had to be "field approved", but if we are considering it a major alteration and filing a 337, then it does have to be approved by something.
So I was simply asking what approval did you use to invert the hitch, 43.13 doesnt do it.

Do you have a document that is approval to install the hitch inverted?

JJD, I see that AC 43-13-2B Fig 8-4 and FAA-H-8083-13A (Glider Flying Handbook) fig 12-4 both show photographs of Schweizer hitches installed inverted. Would this constitute approval?

To make it clear, I'm asking about a Pawnee that already has a Schweizer hook installed.....what paperwork will it take to invert it?