Old March 10th 04, 05:37 PM
Martin Gregorie

On 10 Mar 2004 07:43:38 -0800, (John) wrote:

The point I was making was is there benefits for low-time pilots to
thermal right and land left?

None whatsoever where I fly. Because:

- the general circuit direction depends on the day and the run in
use: it is generally picked so the base leg is flown into the cross
wind assuming there is one. IOW everybody routinely flies circuits in
both directions.

- thermalling direction is set by the first glider into a thermal, so
you'd better be able to thermal in either direction if you don't want
an interview with the CFI and/or some verbals after you land.

Our ab initios are taught to deal with this from the outset and don't
seem to have the problems you describe. You should have trimmed for
landing speed on the downwind leg, so where's the problem with keeping
good airspeed through the base turns?

I myself can turn equally well right or left. But I have noticed I
prefer thermalling to the right, and landing to the left. Having over
250 flights, I have plenty of experience going both directions, but
have developed preference for turning one way or another.

I have made just over 400 flights totalling 275 hours since I started
as an ab initio in 2000 and consider myself pretty much a beginner at
this game.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK