Old July 24th 03, 11:45 PM
David Brooks

"John Theune" wrote in message
1...

Where was it done and who was your DE? I had my checkride postponed twice
because on poor weather. My DE said that the IFR checkride had to be
performed in VFR conditions and led me to believe that it was mandated

that
way. I believed him as he pointed out trying to do unusal attitude
recovery in IMC was not condusive to prolonged life.

Not necessarily. My IR ride was in IMC (900ft ceilings, so not as
challenging). But the airport stands 600ft above the Sound, and after the
last approach we transitioned to SVFR, went over the water and did the
maneuvers there. I was totally fried, of course, and my steep turns sucked,
but we managed to stay both dry and clear.

It has to be the judgement of the applicant, subject to an overrule (and
likely disapproval) by the DE. And a discontinuance is always an option if
that SVFR thing hadn't worked out.

-- David Brooks