Old May 14th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default what engines are making successful aero engine conversions?

On Wed, 13 May 2009 06:40:13 GMT, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

I'm in Western Australia. locally our supplies of VW engines seem to
have dried up. Even BMW motor cycle engines seem to have dried up.
what other currently available engines have been successfully used in
aircraft?

the engine problem seems to provide the most unsolvable dilema when
attempting to build a small aircraft. I'd hate to think that the
prospect of engine conversions was passing.

Stealth Pilot

Why do we always assume we have to reinvent the wheel? If you need 40
hp, here it is. Even altitude compensating EFI available soon.
Designed for max continuous power. Rig a PSRU with a poly-v belt for
more efficient prop speed/length.

40 not enough, stack 2 end to end. Have a steel crank made if the iron
makes you nervous.

Not every small gas engine is a Briggs. I've run 100s of these Kohlers
for 40 years. Some 2000 hours in a year. Almost all the 30 and 40 year
old garden tractors have Kohlers or Tecumsehs. Not many Briggs.

Model Command PRO CH1000
Max Power @3600 RPM hp (kW) 40 (29.8)
Displacement cu in (cc) 61 (999)
Bore in (mm) 3.5 (90)
Stroke in (mm) 3.1 (78.5)
Peak Torque @ Maximum lbs ft (Nm) 61.5 (83.4)
Compression Ratio 8.8:1
Dry Weight lbs (kg) 132 (59)
Oil Capacity U.S. quarts (L) 2.9 (2.75)
Lubrication Full pressure w/full-flow filter
Dimensions L x W x H in 15.3 x 19.0 x 27.5