Old January 24th 05, 09:28 PM
awg9tech

Well, I found a these two comments in this group (after I posted the
question, sorry)

"Just once by the U.S. on 05 Jan 99 at two Iraqi MiG-25s. Two F-14Ds
from
VF-32 fired one AIM-54C each. As soon as they were fired on, the MiGs
turned
tail and ran (nothing runs like a MiG-25 when it wants to+ADs- so what
if it
needs new engines after that flight). Also of note here is that in a
separate incident on the same day, three AIM-120s and one AIM-7M missed
their targets under very similar circumstances. I have no confirmed
information that the Iranians used it."

"Here is some of the information I recall reading about the incident
in
which the Phoenix had its first US use in combat. Just after the end of
Desert Fox two VF-213 Blacklions F-14Ds were patrolling in the Southern
no fly zone over Iraq. They were informed of a number (most likely two)
MiG-25s entering the zone (I don't know whether the Iraqis painted them
with thier radars, the F-14s noticed them themselves or were informed
by
an AWACS). The Tomcats turned north, towards the Iraqis, and fired one
Phoenix each, still at long range. The MiG-25s retreated and the
Tomcats
turned back south to avoid flying into a trap. Both missiles missed
their targets. Apparently the Phoenixes hadn't gone active yet or were
launched at such a long distance that they could no longer catch up
with
the retreating MiGs."

I have only found these and one other comment on globalsecurity.org
about the AIM-54 in combat. I'm just surprised to not have found more
info to collaborate (some say VF-32 others VF-213).