Old July 13th 03, 12:42 AM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:33:26 -0400, Wooduuuward
wrote:

Now who said that? Is that yours? I really got a 'kick' out of it.
I'm for computer assisted flight with small voices that say
"hello Dave. Did you check your altimeter Dave? Dave . . .
you're too low, Dave "
Computers these days are not expensive. Hooking one
up to an airplanes instruments together with monitoring long and lat
should not be that difficult. My own computer talks at me sometimes
if I forget to close an appl. or something.
I think a new look at how things are done could cheat gravity and leave
a family with a dad.

clare, @, snyder.on, .ca wrote:

Gravity is like the RCMP, always gets it's man.

Yeah, I have to admit to that one being mine.

Only problem with your suggestion is I have yet to meet a computer I
totally trust my life to. This one is NOT mine, but I'll use it
anyway.

"To err is human, to really screw something up takes a computer."

I work with the little demons day in and day out, and, like a woman
(this one is mine), just when you think you've got them all figured
out, they surprize you AGAIN!.

That said, a computerized checklist that reminds you is a good idea.
The use of a GPS to give the altimeter a sanity check also makes sense
- but as I said before, flying into an unfamiliar airport under poor
conditions in thick IFR is NOT the time for a lone pilot to be taking
on an extra workload.
Another one I can't take credit for:
"Takeoffs are optional, Landings are mandatory".
Make sure your landing site is clear or you have other options (like
lots of fuel to take you elsewhere) before taking off. Hamilton,
Brantford, Buttonville, Brampton, and numerous other airports within
less than 50 miles were in VFR at the time of the crash. Hamilton is
an international, and a bit busier, but nothing like Pearson.