Old March 4th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student

Default lift, wings, and Bernuolli

Jose wrote:
The flying wing has some horizontal momentum which is secondary here,

How much?

mv

The air thrown forward (or, if you will, the higher pressure ahead)
tries to reduce that, the engine presumably makes up for it.

Energy is 'pumped' into the air by the plane.

Yes, and what form does that energy take?

Heat.

I maintain that it takes the
form of a net increase in mv^2/2 over all the air molecules.

Yes.

Since m
doesn't change, and 2 only changes in a pentium, that leaves v to
change. This changes mv, thus momentum.

Mass and energy are scalers but velocity is a vector.
You can increase the average velocity of the air molecules
without changing the momentum of the air mass. Indeed,
that is exaclty what happens when you heat air.

We agree that there is (microsocopic) momentum transfer at each
collision. We disagree as to whether the net is zero, and I think that
part of that disagreement has to do with just how much of the system we
are looking at.

More importantly we disagree on what causes lift.

If there is lower pressure on the upper surface of a wing than there
is underneath there will be an upward force on that wing. I think
we agree on this.

You argue that the presssure difference and resulting force
is secondary, lift is actual caused by the reaction of the wing
to the momentum change it induces in the air. But suppose
the wing creates low pressure on the upper surface by throwing
air sideways? You still have a pressure differential and the
resultant force but the only downwash is the air flowing
toward the upper surface of the wing from above to fill in
the rarefied region.

For that matter, consider the common demonstration using a
notecard, thumbtack and a straw. Put the tack through the
middle of a 3x5 index card or something similar. Put a drinking
straw over the thumbtack. Hold the aparatus with the straw
vertical and the notedard down. Blow through the straw and
let go of the notecard. The notecard will be supported by the
Bernouli effect.

The only downwash is through the straw, directed at the notecard,
pushing it down. There is no downwash from the card. The card
does not deflect any air down, it deflects the air sideways.
Yet the card is supported by the pressure differential created
by the Bernouli effect. Horizontal flow accross the upper surface
of the card creates that pressure difference.

Downwash does not cause lift. Downwash is a secondary effect
caused by the same phenomenum that causes lift.

--

FF