Old August 6th 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 3:32:48 PM UTC-4, ND wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 11:06:24 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 7:50:45 PM UTC-7, XC wrote:
I've seen a pilot in a Regional who didn't practice all year and never was very good locate a top competitor pre-start using FLARM, follow him around the course and win the day in a FAI handicapped class because he was flying a 15m glider and the top competitor was flying an 18m glider. I started with the two of them split off and did my own thing.

XC

I have to agree with JC. In fact I would prefer that the range be greatly increased. If I get a Flarm warning that I was not expecting, I consider that a failure of situational awareness.

The story about a mediocre pilot in a 15m following a top pilot in an 18 meter is quite far fetched - at least where I fly pretty much impossible as described. If performance in this sport comes down to simply aping another's actions, then it isn't quite the skill sport that we thought.

False. I've seen it too. i've seen mediocre pilots post excellent speeds because they mimed an excellent pilot's decision making. does that mean he had the right stuff? no. it means he copied someone's homework. it IS the skill sport we think it is. it's why Jerzy can go faster than everyone else by 5-10 MPH more often than seems possible. because to win over and over, tremendous skill is required.

From my point of view (quite a while out of competition, but did compete against a lot of top US pilots before....), just because you "know" a "great pilot is doing something (like diving for the trees to scrape off leeches), YOU, still have to find the thermal, center it & climb out.
;-)

I lost a good place at Newcastle, VA (when all I had to do was get home) by deciding to follow another pilot back out (I had final glide made at ~8:1 in an ASW-20 before I headed back out) hoping I could garner an even better spot.

I landed out.
:-(

Yes, leeching can help at times, but being in the "right place at the right time" does NOT mean you'll get back up.