Old June 19th 17, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

Default A Tale of Two Takeoffs

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/011...f_jets.pdf?151
Page 2 "Wake turbulence"

At 07:40 19 June 2017, bumper wrote:
At a flyi that included various flying and landing contests, I was

helping
=
with the release of helium balloons for the pilots to try and pop. Harder
t=
han some would imagine, as there were a lot more misses than hits (except
f=
or ace pilots such as myself). Several of the missed balloons got sucked
in=
to the wing tip vortices where they almost stayed in place while rotating
a=
t least several hundred rpm. This experience, and other explanations of
tip=
vortices, led me to believe they were of small diameter directly behind
th=
e aircraft and expanded in diameter the further back they got while
sinking=
at several hundred feet per minute.

This picture is from "wiki".
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...lane_vortex_e=
dit.jpg/220px-Airplane_vortex_edit.jpg

I was on a photoshoot for a backcountry flying video with my Husky at
Nevad=
a's Black Rock Desert. Near the north end of the desert there are a

couple
=
of small playas that are protected from the wind, surrounded by small
mount=
ains. The playa surface had fine alkali dust that readily showed the air
di=
sturbance behind the Husky, which normally takes off full flaps. As soon
as=
the plane started its take off roll, each tip vortice looked to be about
2=
0 feet in diameter, sucking the fine dust up from the ground and rolling
it=
up and over onto the wing reaching almost to the fuselage - it looked
impr=
essive.

The Husky has a perhaps undeserved* reputation for "Moose Stalls". So
named=
as the aircraft is typically circling low over game counting animal
popula=
tions or doing photograph. It is thought the aircraft, while circling
tight=
ly, dirty or "slowed up" with flaps extended, flies into its own wake
causi=
ng a low altitude stall and loss of control. I have flown into my own

wake
=
doing this, though at higher altitude with room to recover - it's an eye
op=
ener.

*Undeserved, not because it doesn't happen with the Husky, but rather

that
=
the Husky has been used by many state Fish and Games for animal surveys,
pr=
edator control etc. - lots of exposure. There have been Super Cub crashes
u=
nder similar circumstances.