Old November 25th 16, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FLARM - No GPS

A good question. I used very short brass instrument screws to affix the
unit to the aluminum plate. Power is fine unless there's a state other
than on and displaying "0 Satellites" and not on. Maybe the aluminum
plate is the cause (as I've only flown it once while attached to the
plate), but that goes against all I know about ground planes, etc.

I'm going to the airport today and I'll try these things in order after
moving the glider outside:

1. Power the unit up and wait to see if I receive any satellites, if
not then,
2. Move the ADS-B antenna, if not then,
3. Remove all antennae and replace with rubber duckies, if not then,
4. Remove the unit from the glider, use rubber duckies, install
batteries (now the aluminum plate is removed), if not then, WHAT?

I'll look at the .igc files that I've previously downloaded and see what
I can find about the internal GPS (I'm disappointed that it's not an
aviation grade GPS per the FLARM manual). Reload the firmware (which
was updated last month). Report back on my findings.

Sheesh... My MRX PCAS worked perfectly from day one.

Dan

On 11/24/2016 3:36 PM, Duster wrote:
Long shot, but when you fabricated the aluminum plate bracket, how did you fix it to the PF unit? Don't know if it came with mounting pts, but maybe steel bolt heads might cause some interference if you went through the case. Power input is OK, right?

--
Dan, 5J