Old October 27th 03, 03:51 AM
John Giddy

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message
ink.net...
| A bunch of guys, (it's usually guys) get together and
decide to winch launch
| gliders. ("How hard can it be?" "We can teach
ourselves...") They start
| with poor equipment, a bad site, no experience or training
and proceed to
| scare themselves badly...or worse.
|
| They then decide that the problem is winch launch (It
doesn't work, low
| releases, lots of hassles, etc..) and then go back to air
tow.

| I've flown tugs and driven winches - I'll take winches for
fun. I've flown
| lots of air tow and been scared on plenty of occasions.
I've flown lots of
| winch launches and rarely had one go wrong. If anybody
wants a winch
| experienced CFI-G for a week of winch training, email me.
I might be
| available.
|
| BTW, How about some of our British and European friends
with lots of winch
| experience jumping in here?

Not from UK or Europe, but Australia:
There are a number of clubs, ours included that usually
launch by winch.
In Oz, all gliding is controlled by The Gliding Federation
of Australia, under a delegation from CASA (the Aussie FAA)
GFA has a regulation setting the minimum length of field for
winch launching to 1200 metres (approx 4000 ft). This is to
avoid the possibility of a "non-manoeuvring" area, where, if
the cable breaks, there is insufficient length to land
straight ahead, and not high enough to do a modified circuit
and land normally.
There are standard procedures which are taught, involving
signals between the pilot and the winch driver, and
procedure for dealing with cable breaks. These are taught
and practiced during the winch launch training. There is an
agreed minimum number of launches (12) before sign-off for
anyone converting from aerotow.
Provided you have a good winch, with sufficient power, and
an experienced driver, it is a very safe and efficient way
to get into the air.
It is also quiet, which is a boon for those fields close to
built-up areas.
Cheers, John G.