Old March 3rd 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default End of an era? "FAA Issues Final Rule On Plastic Pilot Certificates"

Vaughn Simon wrote:

Pilots may request the plastic certificate through the FAA's website,
at a cost of $2. That fee will be waived, however, if you change your
pilot certificate number to your Social Security number...

3) Why would anyone want to do that? Was this misstated and the intent is
actually for folks to REMOVE SSNs from their certificate? As a CFI, I have no
desire to write my SSN in every student's logbook. I changed to a new non-SSN
certificate number as soon as it was allowed.

I believe that part was misstated. The FAA has for many years waived the
$2 fee if you are changing your certificate FROM your SSN to a generic number.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)