Old July 29th 19, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default More sad news

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 4:34:57 PM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:

This is troubling, towplane and glider collide, not good. I fly both ends of the rope, there is never a single second that I always know where the released glider is. This is a high wing towplane, makes for better visibility after release than the Pawnee that we use. Even on pattern tows I go like hell to make sure I beat the glider to base and land well ahead of the glider. A few seconds can make a lot of difference in separation.

C-182 better vis than a Pawnee? No way. Pawnee has better vis than ANY high wing towplane (I have towed in C-172s, Super Cubs, and Pawnees), especially in turns. But the real solution (as discussed later in the thread) is PowerFLARM in both gliders and towplanes.

Kirk