Old July 30th 19, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default More sad news

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 12:38:32 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 12:19:02 PM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
In this case, both glider and towplane were equipped with PowerFLARM.

I suspect this is the first North American midair between PowerFLARM equipped aircraft (notwithstanding the other midairs noted in this thread).

Hopefully Transport Safety Board Canada will examine the PowerFLARM IGC recordings.

We need to understand what went wrong.

This is important information. We certainly need to understand what went wrong and hopefully wouldnt need to wait 2 years for a final report to find out. If the midair happened soon after release then powerflarm wouldn't help as all it is doing is warning you of another aircraft which they already knew about. Powerflam is mostly effective when you dont expect traffic and it gets your attention. When you expect traffic such as in the pattern and in gaggles, powerflarm is much less effective as you end up mostly ignoring it and use "see and avoid".

Ramy

While PF is a big advance in flight safety, it is not perfect. I recently had a close call over Ely where neither of us got any warning (I did get a general alert AFTER I had made an evasive maneuver.

Tom