Old November 30th 11, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default M-Nav

On Nov 29, 10:47*am, wrote:
Hello everyone.
New to the group. I have a Pegasus that hasn't flown in many years and
I'm getting her ship-shape after a new annual and a clean bill-of-
health. The glider has an older M-Nav50 computer and I was wondering
if anyone can tell me something about these computers, i.e., what
functions does it perform (speed to fly, best glide, etc.), I'm also
wondering if I can interface this old a model to any current PDA,
etc., or will there be compatibility issues? I guess I'm trying to
assertain whether it's worth saving, or should I bite the bullet and
buy a new one. I'd like to try to make it work, at least for the time
being. I don't fly competitions....it would mainly be for XC. Thanks.
Dave

I used an MNAV in my ASW19B and prepared illustrated briefing notes
for the next owner. If you want a copy send me an email off group.

As others have said this unit cannot be interfaced with a GPS or PDA.
It requires a pilot to close the loop. The hardest part of using the
MNAV was getting a visual fix to set the initial final glide distance
setting and then getting subsequent visual fixes to update the wind
estimate. That became much easier with a simple GPS to provide the
required distances.

The MNAV is a good vario. Unless you have a lot of spare cash I
suggest you keep it for a while and add a low cost GPS/PDA.

BTW I may a transducer board somewhere in my junk pile. I forget why
it was replaced but it may be good for parts.

Andy