Old March 2nd 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Whiting

Default Instrument departure, non-IFR airport

wrote:

Recently I tried to depart from an non-tower airport that has no
instrument approach procedure, and hence no instrument departure. I
was told that I could not get a clearance on the ground, even with
VIFNO etc., and that I would have to depart VFR and pick my clearance
up while airborne. The recommendation made to me by both TRACON and
local FSDO for departing IFR with a low ceiling was to get a special
VFR clearance into the towered airport 6 miles away [which has an
approach and then depart IFR from there.

My question is, if I take responsibility for staying away from the
rocks [assume a low ceiling, above the tops of small hills, but below
minimum vectoring altitude], shouln't I be able to get a clearance on
the ground?

Alan, PP-AMEL-IA

Yes, I used to do it all the time from 7N1. It is called a void time
clearance. Who told you that this couldn't be done?

You have are on your own, however, until you enter controlled airspace
so you have to realize that. The good thing is that they know you are
coming, have cleared a hole for you and will pick you up immediately
when you call.

Matt