Old April 3rd 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default KY197, KY 97 what's the Difference?

wrote:
KY97A 5Watt LCD
KY197A 10Watt LED

I was once told that the KY97A is actually an ICOM IC-A200 that is
OEM'ed for King with a different faceplate and knobs but the exact
same innards. Is this true? Those two radios sure look a lot alike.

Nope. The ICOM and KY97 can use the same tray and use the same 40 pin
Molex connector, but they're not the same radio. I recently bought an IC-
A200 as a replacement for a KY-97 and they're very similar, but not the same
inside.

One thing that I thought was strange is that ICOM does not advertise their
radio as a slide-in replacement for the KY-97A. They look a lot alike, but I
didn't know about the compatability until an avionics vendor mentioned it (I
was in the market for a replacement KY-97 at the time). ICOM had no
references to this compatability in any of their docs, so I emailed 'em and
their tech support emailed me back with the good news. They saved me $600
over the price of a new KY-97.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)