Old September 30th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Voltage, EDM-700, trim switch follow-up

Jay Honeck wrote:
[JPI] offered to update the unit's software and to install a USB output
(instead of the stupid phono jack) for "only" $268. When I balked at
that, they offered instead to sell me a "little black box" that has a
USB outlet in it, that I could plug into the stupid little phono jack,
for "only" $200.

I declined that, too. For a feature I've used twice in five years, I
figured that was pretty silly. Although I'd probably use it more if
it were "plug & play"...

If the phono jack is an RS-232 serial port, you can buy a USB-to-RS232
cable for about $20 online. Then you need an additional $10 worth of
parts and some soldering to make a cable to go from the DB-9 connector
on the USB-RS232 cable to a phono plug. The first time you use it'll be
"plug and pray" (i.e., require tweaking), but after that it should be
easy.

Disclaimer: This is based on experience with ground vehicles and
equipment. I don't have an A&P; I don't even have a TG&Y. Some of
this may not be allowable on a certificated aircraft. Your mileage
may vary.

Matt Roberds