Old April 23rd 04, 03:36 AM
Eric Greenwell

John Jones wrote:

As more self launch sailplanes are built, what will
be the effect on soaring growth?

Will soaring clubs decline? Will self launchers disperse
to many more airports, creating more exposure?

Any thoughts?

I've been a glider pilot in the USA for almost 30 years, with the last
10 years spent flying a self-launching sailplane (SLS). Until recently,
there seemed to be two types of pilots that bought self-launching
sailplanes like the DG 400, PIK 20 E, ASH 26 E, etc:

Type 1: long time (20-30 year), very experienced cross-country glider
pilots looking for more convenience

Type 2: power pilots wanting to be glider pilots but put off by the
hassles of towed gliders; that is, also looking for convenience in the
use of the glider (but perhaps not so interested in serious
cross-country flying right away).

For type 1 pilots, having an SLS seems to keep them in the sport, and
generally still involved in the activities and clubs in the region, at
least in my region (northwest USA).

For the type 2 pilot, the SLS brought them into the sport.

So, for these two types, the effect of the SLS on clubs and soaring
seems beneficial.

Recently, the availability of moderate cost, moderate performance
gliders like the Russia AC-5M, Apis, and Silent, has attracted a third
type of pilot:

Type 3: medium time (a few years) glider pilots that also want
convenience, and perhaps especially an entry into cross-country flying
without the retrieve worries.

I know very few of the type 3 pilot, so I'm not sure how much they (as a
group) interact with clubs and other pilots once they have their glider.
I suspect it's much like the type 1 pilot: if they were active in a club
before, they will continue to be active.

Most of the pilots I know like to be around other glider pilots, and I
don't see SLS pilots dispersing to airports where there aren't other
gliders.

My conclusion: self-launchers are a benefit to the clubs and the sport.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA