Old April 26th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Anyone ever hear this from a controller

Here's a rule to follow:

When you want an instrument approach, tell the controller, EVERY TIME:

a) Which approach you want (use complete title e.g., ILS RWY 6)

b) Whether you want vectors, or wish to start at an IAF,

c) in the case of the latter, WHICH IAF you wish to start at, if there
is more than one.

Gets you and the controller on the same page right away. If he can't
oblige your request, he'll work out another.

There is NO REASON to start an approach without this understanding.

By the way, why would you ever head for the FAF to begin an approach?
No approaches ever start at the FAF.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:42:17 -0400, "Kobra" wrote:

Flyers,

I was flying IFR in VFR conditions and from NJ to Kissimmee, FL (KISM). As
I was approaching KISM the controller asked if I wanted to do a visual
approach or the ILS. Since I was in unfamiliar surroundings and wanted to
practice an ILS I said, "I'll take the ILS."

As I waited for the typical clearance of, "Cessna XXX, 5 miles from XYZ, fly
heading 180, maintain 2000 until established, cleared for the ILS XX
approach." I got, "Ok, just let me know when you want to start the
approach."

Huh!?! I didn't know what to do or say. I asked, "Do you want me to head
for the FAF?" Then another controller came on the frequency and said,
"Cessna XXX cleared for the ILS approach"

So I just headed for the FAF and began to intercept the localizer. The
controller than asked me what I was doing. I was so confused since they
were not using standard terminology. Thoughts anyone.

Kobra