Old May 14th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Greg Kettmann

Default PA-400 3BL Portable 4 Place Intercom, problems with PTT

Thank you Matt.

I'm somewhat embarrassed that you were able to find that manual and I
wasn't, but thank you very much, that's very helpful.

Yes, it appears the funny microphone plug, with what they call a
Y-connector, is for two remote PTT's. Thus removing that feature might
be an effective way to fix this, or at least remove it as a possibility.
I strongly suspect that the problem is in that Y-Connector, based on
this information.

Normal headsets work just fine. The problem is only encountered when
the 4-place intercom is connected to the pilot side.

Thanks again and happy flying. GGK

wrote:
Greg Kettmann wrote:
I have a Pilot PA-400 3BL portable 4 place intercom, to allow 4 headsets
to be connected. I bought it used and don't have a manual. So, first,
does anyone know where I can find a copy of the manual, either for
purchase or online?

A little Googling leads to
http://www.pilot-usa.com/ , and going to
their "intercoms" page yields
http://www.pilot-usa.com/pdf/DownloadPA400ST.pdf . That manual is for a
slightly different version but may be helpful.

It used to be that you could plug it in again (and again) and it would
work. When I plug the units microphone plug into the pilot side (it's
OK on the co-pilot side) it keys the microphone as if the PTT had been
pushed.

What happens if you plug in a headset directly to the pilot or co-pilot
jacks on the panel, without the intercom connected to anything? Does
everything work as expected then, or does one side still act differently
than the other? Basically you're trying to find out if the problem
always stays on the pilot's side or not. If it does stay on the pilot's
side, that tends to point towards a problem with the jacks or wiring in
the panel. If it moves around, that tends to point to whichever device
the problem follows.

Another thing I don't understand... On the intercom microphone plug (on
the pigtail - plugged into the panel) there are two jacks on the back
for pilot and copilot.

The PDF above (section 4.2) seems to say that these two jacks are for
remote PTT switches.

Matt Roberds