Old August 14th 04, 11:47 PM
John Gaquin

"Jim Cummiskey" wrote in message newsoqTc.37452

Geez, Jim, you sure do love to rant! Careful, or you might give someone the
idea that I hit a hot button.

...I think the experience metric might be in my favor for
the vast majority of the folk on this forum, Doc.

Well, you may be right. I don't know.

What are you flying, BTW?

I don't fly anything right now.

.... Instead of INSISTING that your
perspective is the only possible conclusion,

I never did any such thing. What I was merely pointing out was what various
pilots and air carriers have learned over the years - that predictable,
standardized procedures go a long way toward stabilizing the safety
environment and decreasing the likelihood of accidents. And that
disregarding standardized expectations can be inherently dangerous, whether
you're technically correct or not.

The regs ARE confusing, imprecise, and often contradictory. They need
interpretation badly.

Absolutely right. What they don't need is hipshot, case-by-case individual
interpretation on a daily basis.

... There is no right and wrong. All rules
and laws merely offer a set of guidelines to be used as a general model

for
our behavior.

Interesting. Moral relativism in the cockpit. Let me know how it works
out.

Does it make you NERVOUS that one of your most
preciously-held views of the world is being challenged?

"Preciously-held views..."? LOL. Nothing in aviation comes close to being
any of my most "...preciously-held views..."

...(BTW, how many
hours have you logged in the last year, Doc)?

Oh, I haven't logged any time in the last few years. I stopped flying a few
years ago after about 25 years and about 18000 hours.