Old January 6th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Rotax vs. Jabiru

Montblack wrote:

("UltraJohn" wrote)
I'm not sure if your talking about the 'built' version or E/AB version.
If it's the experimental version you can set the gross weight where you
like. Just limit it to the LSA requirement and your good to go. You will
lose some useful load which you can trade off with smaller tanks and less
range if you need the weight.

Could you ex"pound" on this - set the gross weight where you like?

Thanks

Mont ....blue, yeah, that's it - Montblue

Yes Montred (hey if you can do it I can) ;-)

You can set the gross weight for E/AB where you like. You might/should have
some documentation as to what the pane can actually maxout but you
certainly can set it lower for safety sake.
The speeds are another story. You can't easily 'set' the max continous etc
etc but you could put an electronic (or otherwise) limiter on the engine to
keep the speed within limits and/or adjust the prop pitch/diameter to limit
airplane (or prop/engine) speed. Now if you have a 250 kt plane it might be
difficult to limit it! My plane which I'm slowly (very slowly) working on
original specs are 180 mph cruise (yeah right) realistic most cruise at
140-150 so proping it down with a climb prop takes care of it easily the
problem is stall speed mines about 3 mph high so I need mods to lower the
stall down.
The whole point is E/AB has a lot of leeway!

Also the AMD CH601XL is SLSA (the one Jim Pellien is selling is ELSA)and it
has a Cont O-200 they lost 70lb useful load because of the engine weight
but it still has the 1320lb gross.

John

Sorry for the rambling post!