Old June 18th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Immediate Action Items Checklist

On Jun 17, 7:36*pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:46:47 -0700 (PDT), "Ol Shy & Bashful"
wrote in
:

Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

This is the first I've heard of that term. *Are you referring to
emergency procedures contained in the aircraft's POH?

Larry
Immediate Emergency Action is just exactly that. If you check stats,
the vast majority of engine failures occur because of fuel problems.
Fuel exhaustion, fuel starvation, fuel contamination or a mechanical
like fuel pump or fuel line failure. I think its like 80%? So, if a
pilot does the obvious like fuel tank select, mixture, throttle, carb
heat (if carbureted) fuel pump on (if so equipped) there is a chance
of taking care of the problem without heading for the trees while
digging out the checklist and crashing. Most of the POH info goes thru
the litany of things to check while setting up for a crash and down
towards the bottom kind of as an afterthought says "Attempt to restart
the engine if time permits..." That is kind of after the fact and way
too late.
When I was flying a variety of aircraft and jumping from one to
another, I tried to do the procedure for one that did not apply and
damned near put it into the trees. After that, I took time to review
Immediate Action Items for the specific aircraft I was flying before I
took off. I rehearsed the specific immediate action items before
takeoff and still do it to this day and teach my students the same. If
an engine quits at less than 500' agl, there is not much time to
decide what to do and it sure is better to have a game plan rehearsed
immediately beforehand. I spent about 40 years doing crop dusting or
ag operations and the margin for error is pretty narrow as is the time
to react to emergencies. That is where I got my basis for this answer.
Cheers
Ol S&B