Old March 31st 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Default Region 10 North June 9-16 Yoder, KS

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 12:17:38 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
RAS,

I'm pleased to announce that the Kansas Soaring Association is hosting Region 10 North at the Sunflower Aerodrome near Yoder, KS this year. Practice June 9-10 and Contest June 11-16. We hope you can join us!

Kansas is conveniently located approximately half way between the East Coast and the West Coast. The location and dates line up perfectly between Region 5 in Cordele and Sports Class Nationals in Nephi. And it's "on the way"! Stop by to fill in your travel week and get in some more practice before the Nationals!

For those of you who think in more of a North/South direction, fly Region 7 in Albert Lea, MN, Region 10 North with us, and then head to Houston for their Region 10 Championships!

We will be happy to provide competition in FAI and Sports classes. I expect to split Sports Class into two or three classes depending on the performance spread. For those who want to compete with water, we have a 7000 foot long paved runway! Ballast your glider up to its maximum gross weight and race!

We have submitted a bid and hope to host the 2019 Club Class Nationals at Sunflower, so this years Regional will be great way for you to get some practice in ahead of that upcoming event.

As many of you may know, Kansas is statistically flatter than a pancake. This makes it great country to fly gliders XC. The task area is also littered with nice airports. It's a great place to fly for beginners and experienced pilots.

The latest analysis from the US Drought Monitor puts Sunflower right on the edge of the "Extreme Drought" area. If you want to have an idea of what kind of soaring is possible in the dry years, have a look at the OLC in 2011 and 2012. http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curren...onitor.aspx?KS The May-June-July Precipitation Outlook is "Below Average".

RV Parking is available at Sunflower. Hookups are limited. There is a nice RV Park in nearby Yoder. Hutchinson (10 Miles North) and Wichita (35 Miles Southeast) are the nearby cities.

Region 10 SSA Director and all around good guy Steve Leonard will be the CD.

Let me know if you have any questions, email me at

Sign up on the SSA Website at:
http://www.ssa.org/Contests?cid=2414

Tony Condon
KSA President
Region 10 North Contest Manager

Great news Tony! Hope the contest goes well and you get lots of participation. I had to plan out my summer a couple months ago and unfortunately won't be able to make it. Too bad, Steve and I could have had a Nimbus 3 smack down ;-)

Craig
7Q