Old July 10th 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default washing the parachute's sheepskin pad

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 9:29:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
The Region One contest last week suffered hot humid weather and we sweated a LOT. The sheepskin (?) snap-on pad on my Softy long 'chute smelled really bad afterwards, so I hand-washed it in cold water with Woolite detergent. It's somewhat better now (takes forever to hang-dry!) but still smells bad. Is that uncurable? Should I wash it a different way?

I had a similar problem with my Strong chute. Strong offers a laundering service where they somehow launder the casing then inspect and repack the chute. It was rather disgusting when I sent it to them and looked/smelled brand spanking new when I got it back. I think it cost about $75 or so and took 2 weeks ship to receive. I was incredibly impressed with their service! I don't know if they'll do a Softy but it may be worth a call to Strong.

Robert