Old April 22nd 19, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sandhill Soaring Club to Host 3-Day GTA-like Mini Sports ClassContest in Michigan May 31 - June 2

Attention Glider Pilots!

Sandhill Soaring Club is hosting a 3-Day XC Soaring Camp May 31 - June 2 at Richmond Field (69G) located about 30 minutes from I-94 and the outskirts of Ann Arbor, Michigan.

There are No Entry Fees! Aerotows for SSA members are $50/each to 2,000' AGL.

The purposes of the camp is to promote cross-country soaring in Region 6 (and nearby Region 7) and introduce more beginners to xc soaring within the SSA's Sports Class competition framework. This is a wonderful place for pilots to obtain the Silver Badge or complete a 100+ km flight making them eligible to enter an SSA sanctioned Sports Class contest in the future (like the 2018 Region 6 North Sports Class Contest held in Adrian in July of 2018).

The camp is limited to 8 guest pilots. RV's and tent campers welcome! We have limited electrical hookups (for those who require full service there is the nearby Hell Creek Campground in Hell, Michigan). Sandhill's clubhouse, bathroom, shower, kitchen, and BBQ Grill is OPEN to everyone. Beginners shouldn't feel any pressure to fly or necessarily complete a task (fly to your skill level). Having said that, we will score camp participants utilizing the SSA's Sports Class rules, much like the GTA race series does (pilots are also encouraged to upload their flight traces to OLC).

For "beginners" interested in flying a Sports Class type (handicapped) soaring contest, we will provide the structure necessary for you to experience what a Sports Class contest is like and to learn the rules without the pressure of competing in a sanctioned competition. Think of this as a stepping stone to your first regional contest.

For the more experienced pilot, we will have a handful of intermediate-level contest pilots who plan to compete in June at the Sports Class Nationals at Caesar Creek - they will be practicing and looking to hone some of their racing skills.

Last but not least, the camp is intended to be fun and to give everyone a chance to work on their soaring skills and to enjoy a three-day weekend of soaring activities. We will utilize the 2018 R6N "Adrian" contest map/turnpoints but add a start cylinder ~5sm from Richmond Field (69G) utilizing the "house thermal."

For more information, please call or e-mail me. Space is limited!

Sincerely,

Chris Schrader
SSA Director, Region 6 (MI, OH, IN, KY)
cschraderb2g[at]gmail[dot]com