Old May 12th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Persian Tomcats in service

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Now if someone could just figure out how to
do the same with hydraulics"...

Generally if the hydraulic actuator is bad (leaking, not working properly)
you take it off and ship it off to be overhauled. Sometimes the problem is
rigging which can be fixed on the airplane. In the case of electrical part
of the actuator the servovalve (something I've actaully worked with) you
have to ship the actuator it's attached to back to an overhaul shop where it
is removed and then shipped on to either the manufacturer or a specialty
shop. Very few stand alone specialty shops, some of the bigger airlines
have servovalve shops but in general 80-90% of your servovalves are repaired
by the manufacturer. I've been approached a couple of times about doing
Boeing servo-valves and when I point out what is involved in doing a fresh
setup the manager rapidly loses interest. There is a little "tribal
knowledge" which isn't in the manual involved in tuning a servovalve. And
if you don't get it right you will probably get the "mystery auto-pilot
disconnect" problems that are damn near impossible to diagnose.

I'll note all of my on-aircraft repair experience was electrical. My
hydaulic work was limited to overhaul shops unless I was working an
auto-pilot problem on an airplane.

hydraulics is a whole diff ballgame, i take it?...