Old December 7th 04, 12:59 PM
Jay Honeck

I'll grant you that it's an aeronautical competition and it's exciting as
hell...but is it really "racing?"

I don't think Reno (the traditional 'round the pylons...) would be
anywhere near as exciting if you only had one plane at a time racing the
clock instead of multiple planes going wingtip to wingtip.

I thought the same thing -- until I watched the races at Reno in September.

The difference is that the Red Bull races are held directly in front of the
grandstand, easily in view of the crowd. It is a timed event, so every
shortcut possible is taken, resulting in some really wild, exciting (and
dangerous) flying. Unlike the regular races, you can see every nuance --
and every mistake -- right *there* in front of you.

The traditional air races are a thrill, don't get me wrong -- but nowadays
you need a huge, completely unpopulated area to run them. The Red Bull
races can be held on just about any airport which (in my opinion) means that
they hold great potential to rejuvenate the sport.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA