Old April 23rd 04, 07:30 PM
Wright1902Glider

Actually, I think a lifting fuselage comes under its own category... lifting
body.
Historically, a flying wing aircraft is not only without a fuselage, it is just
a wing. Its engines, cockpit, bomb bays, landing gear, etc. are all contained
within the wing structure itself. That would include all of Northrop's designs
(YB-49, B-2), most/all of Horten's, and just about every hang-glider since
Francis Regallo. I would also clasify the ME-162 as a flying wing even though
it is a little fat in its center section.

I'd call the F-106, Mirage, space shuttle, Concorde, etc. delta-winged
aircraft. Definately a triangular-shaped wing attached to a fuselage.

Now here's another question: are canard aircraft tailless? I can think of
some that a Rutan EZ, Wright 1900 & 1901 gliders. I can also think of some
that aren't: Rutan Voyager, Wright 1902-1908 Flyers.

Fun stuff,
Harry