Old January 9th 04, 07:17 PM
Bill

Dave wrote:
I had an interesting discussion with other pilots about converting my
Piper Cherokee 6 to all electric. This would basically require
replacing the AI and DG with electric AI and elec. HSI. So, then,
there would be no use for vacuum pump. But, one pilot said that the
certified elec. AI only allows for installation of the unit, and that
the FAA would *NOT* approve full removal of the vacuum instrument if
it was delivered and certified with the aircraft. Any experiences on
this?

My goal would be to put an elec. AI and HSI in the panel, dump the two
vacuum guages and also dump the vacuum pump (some weight savings!).
Has anyone done this successfully?

Talked to my avionics shop about an electric AI, the ones you see for
$1800 from RC Allen. They have to send about 90% of them back because
they fail in less than 100 hours. He says if you want one you can
depend on you're looking at $4K.

That is total BS. Find another avionics shop.