Old August 4th 05, 08:50 AM
309

With all this talk about Silver Distance the "old" vs. "new" way and
wether we should revise the requirements, it seems to me that folks
have neglected to discuss HOW Dennis started his flight.

Kudos to Dennis for doing it the manly way: from an AUTO tow. Yeah,
yeah, I can hear the old(er) timers starting to whine like jet engines
about how that was the ONLY way, way way back in the day... Yup, I've
flown away from a winch launch: ONCE. It was a thrill and an event
I'll never forget -- and I was down to 300 feet on final when I found
"lift." I never turned my back on the field until I was above 1000
feet AGL and noticed that the guys on the ground were madly scrambling
to fetch the other 2-33 (implying permission for me to take the student
pilot in the back for more ride than he'd ever had for six bucks).

I digress; We all owe Dennis a great deal of respect for adding to his
personal challenge in opting for a sligtly more difficult handicap,
both in the ship and launch method chosen!

-Pete